



Day Two
Overnight the cold front came through with thunderstorm and sheets of rain. The morning dawned with VERY brisk winds blowing. OK, kind of howling at moments. The temperature started out in the low thirties and may have made it into the high fifties in the afternoon.
I arrived at the barn before 8:30 am since we had a 10:50am “lift off” time. Dawna Lisa needed to be clean up since she had spent most of the day/early evening out after dressage test. Larry plan was to hitch at 9:45 and we stuck to it. Dawna Lisa was very good about standing around while adjustments were made such as switching her bit and adjusting the marathon harness to a vehicle that she had never been put to. Larry had decided the liverpool with soft mouth was too much of a bit for DL and put her in a thick rubber mouth butterfly. Larry and Sue (navigator) got aboard and off DL went. Since Larry’s barn is in the Annex, they had to go down 12th lane, cross the road and drive along the side of the road to get to main office and marathon area.
One of kind ladies (Team Poulin) gave me a ride over since I was coming back on the carriage with DL and had her cooler. DL was walking about the warm-up area when I arrived. Larry said “Get some pictures Claudia before I ‘smoke’ the water hazard with Dawna Lisa!” I chuckled greatly and yelled back, “SO have you practiced one with her?” “No, but I am sure she will get some practice today!” answered Larry. I told Larry that THIS was a great confidence builder in HOW she was going to handle the water hazard.
I headed down to the viewing area for four of the hazards knowing that I had a great deal of time to wait. I stayed by the water hazard knowing that this was going to most of the fun to see. Waiting is a very hard thing to do. I was very patient but had the order of go clenched in my hand noting each entry as they went. I practiced with my still camera taking pictures of other exhibitors so I wouldn’t have the fiasco of the video camera when it was Dawna Lisa time.
Through the woods I could see Larry and DL coming. Tears came to my eyes as Dawna Lisa bravely cantered into the water hazard and did the hazard with almost flawless impulsion. See the team of Larry and Dawna Lisa listening to his every whistle and trill was awesome. Finally, I broke out of joy of the moment and started clicking with the camera. Thankfully, the professional photographer did a much better job of recording DL’s performance in the hazard.
I then ran up to another part of viewing area to see her other more technically difficult hazards. I don’t know which of them I was more in awe of as this mare gave her all to swing the carriage around and never lose her incredible momentum. I tried to take pictures but…I totally missed her last hazard because I could run fast enough to get there!
As I walked over to the vet check area, I saw DL’s wide blaze and made a beeline. Larry was hopping out of the carriage since he had given the rein to the navigator because HE was navigating for the marvelous Dales ponies pair (another member of Team Poulin). Larry yelled to Sue “Check the green card and sign it!”. I headed DL.
In was seemed liked seconds, we were released for vet check and headed back to the Annex. I don’t think poor Sue had driven DL before but it went well. To even slightly think DL was very tired was false since she tried to spook with poor Sue on the return. I gave harsh words to DL from the back steps…Yes, the true back seat driver. The evil little Cob listened.
Back at the Annex, we quickly unharnessed and I walked DL with her cooler on. The wind was still blowing cruelly BUT DL had not even broken a sweat and was only damp under the saddle and breast plate. After grooming her, I put her turnout rug on and put her in her paddock outside. DL rolled and rolled and gave a grumpy look to the turnout rug.
The rest of the afternoon was rather a blur of events. The other part of Team Poulin arrived (the Dales pair from VT). I drove my car back to the marathon and Larry and I watched the rest of the animals go through the marathon hazards. Personally, I don’t know HOW Larry does it! After I drove him back to the Annex HE worked to more animals…. I was exhausted just watching!
I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon watching another dear lady (note watching) prepare dinner and helping with settling the stock in for the night. I had been invited to spend the evening dinner with Team Poulin. It was great evening of owners, friends and competitors sharing went on during the day.
I guess the only moment of angst was when Pat Hastings (the Dales pair) and Sue joined us for the food with all the paper work from the first two days from the awards presentation. As it was, there was minor issue with DL’s time on the track section (Section A) and the signing of the green card. Please remember that this was Sue first time navigating! Some how even with the two watches on Sue arms, DL came in 39 seconds UNDER the minimum time and cost us 3.9 heavy faults.
Yes, Larry had ‘smoked’ the hazards with DL having the best time on three out of the five hazards. Larry with DL would have won the marathon for our division IF there had been no penalties on track… Sue was beside herself with the error and left the dinner…She would not listen to me that it matter little in the big picture of how great Dawna Lisa had done with the team of Larry and she… Doing CDE’s is a huge learning curve and she had one of the cruelest lessons which I have experienced in the past.
In the big picture of life, I could have carried less. My brave Dawna Lisa went out with Larry and did an incredible job THAT I know I couldn’t have done. She gave Larry her heart and as far as I am concerned, SHE won the marathon. I can’t lose a wink of exhausted sleep tonight. Tomorrow is another day. WHO knows what cones will bring. Poor DL has never done cones! Many more pictures can be seen at http://www.tangwyllt.com/DL%20adventures/dawna_lisa%20treasure.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment