What a difference a few hours can make. Overnight we had some rain and one thump of thunder. It was a bit cloudy, fairly humid and in the 70’s. Not bad in my or Dawna Lisa’s estimation. The hotter it is, the better she likes it. I tacked her up about 9:30 am after another good round of grooming. I am working on getting some of the long hairs off her legs. We peacefully took off on the trails to the dressage arena where she actually stood a bit as me watched Larry work the bay pair. Larry invited us into the dressage ring and DL stood some before we headed out on the trails for 45 minutes of walking. She did much better today and I felt she was once again listening to me. Nice to have my favorite pony back.
The drive this afternoon was very pleasurable. Josh (one of Larry’s assistants) helped me hitch DL and she stood quietly. I am getting used the setup of the release tugs that you use with the oval ended shafts. The breeching just snaps into the breeching rings and I run the traces through the breech strap to the snap shackles. I have only do one side of the belly strap and we are all hitched. I got in and Josh gave her head. She did a tiny bit of dancing as we took off but for DL this was nothing.
We headed up to the hated dressage arena. Larry was working with Pat Hasting and one of her singles Dales on their test. I went over to the other arena and walked through it with a halt and we then walked the cones with some halts between the cones. We then worked our way back to the hated dressage arena. We tried to do a long stand watching Pat having her go but the long stands were for less than a minute. DL was getting a tad cranked. Larry motioned us in the arena next to Pat pony who was quietly standing at rest. DL stood for a bit and Larry said “Today, I am going to watch you do your test and not ride with you.” I told Larry that I didn’t want to do this but spend some time on track work before we tried the dressage test thing.
THIS was a good decision since DL was fidgeting and I knew any time at the halt was going to be a total frustration for us both. As Larry hopped aboard, DL gave one of her tasteful leaps into the breast collar. Yes, she came right back to the joggy walk and then her big swinging walk but Larry and I laughed because she had kind of lifted the front end of the carriage! While this might sound a little bit scary, it isn’t. She never tries to bolt but just lets you know that she wants to be at work. Down the sandy trails we went with this marvelous cadenced working trot. It is a joy to listen to this mare trot. It is so even and you can see the muscles in her back work as she dug into the sand and never varied her pace that laughs at the small hills (more like mounds). Her ears are straight forward and she travels as straight as an arrow yet supple on the curves bending deep into corners. Both Larry and I enjoyed it and Larry reminded me “This is a world class pony that can do it all and will never let you down.” I laughed back and said “Well, if she would stand in the dressage arena I would be happy!”
After some track work on the Annex side, we headed across the street to Black Prong proper. DL had her head up as we wove through the trailer and portable stall area. We were headed to the far side where the competition warm up ring and actual dressage ring is. She was relaxed now and walked past the bright blue porta potties like there were not even there. We passed several horses and went right past the two little minis that were returning from the dressage area. Numerous golf carts and scooters went past us with her never blinking an eye. Into the sand warm up dressage ring we went and I drove the test.
I must admit that I am feeling more confident about knowing the test. I had a conception issue with the teardrops after the thirty meter circles BUT I think I am getting it. This is the first half of the test. The second half of the test is easier with a lengthening trot across the diagonal and then the big looping serpentine. DL did do halts and the walk off on one was OK. One was not as well executed but two hundred percent better than yesterday. Our drive back to the Annex was uneventful. She stood quietly as Larry headed her while he talked to a nice man from Poland. He is going to work with Larry to get me a navigator who I still do not have. Larry wants to make sure I have someone that can help me on the marathon just in case.
What is a tad bizarre on my behalf, I am less worried about the marathon and cones than any other part of the three days. Getting through the dressage test without any airs above the ground is my goal. You have to take things one day at a time. I know that I have plenty of pony and a supple pony that can be a cat in the hazards for me. I am not worried about cones since DL loves to do them and a few balls down or crunched cones doesn’t bother me. I am out to have fun and learn. It has been a long, long time since my last CDE. BUT I have a pony that will keep me save IF I really drive her.
I am feeling much better about the carriage. While it rides a tad stiff and can bounce you, the wedge seat and dash keeps you secure. I am still rather clueless on how to use the brake to gain advantage in the hazards but I bet I will learn as time goes on. Back in the days I competed, we didn’t have brakes! Then again, the idea of cantering in hazards was a totally negative thing. Yes, it cost you points. BUT I have this small thought in the back of my mind that DL and I will work it all out. Adrenaline will work its magic for both of us.
One the health side of things, I am rather happy. I was worried if DL leaped or I had to turn her really hard, my left shoulder would fail me on the marathon. DL has already done the leaping thing. I have pulled hard with my left shoulder without pain so I think I am good to go. Each day, DL and I are building confidence in each other. WHAT more could I ask. I am starting to feel like the little engine. I think I can. I THINK I can. I THINK I CAN. Yes, I am a tad off I knowing I can do everything but we are moving forward positively.
Tomorrow I plan to ride in the morning. The farrier is here about noon. I guess there was a mix up and another pony was shod rather than DL. It has been 8 weeks since DL was last done so she needs it. Hopefully in the afternoon, DL and I will have another delightful drive. I feel confident that we are building positively for the future. No matter what, I am having a blast. All of the people in Larry’s barn are working as a team. Yours, Claudia
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment