Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Day Three

I can’ t say that today was the best day I have ever had with DL. She was really uptight and had a great deal of trouble relaxing. She is very fit and feels WAY too well. Larry and I went out in the vehicle about 9:30 and went to the dressage ring. While DL listened to me well at the working trot and doing parts of the dressage test there was an edge to her. Our halts were plain horrible as were the transitions out of the halt. She was looking for things to be disobedient about. THIS is not what DL is all about. Both Larry and I agreed that we can’t take her to the dressage ring without some track work first. She has too much energy to listen to me without working off some ‘steam’ first.
I decided to ride her in the afternoon. At first she was fine but when I took her over the dressage ring it was like the ground was electricified and her feet were getting a shock every time she put them down. DL has always been a saint under saddle. I had to give her a big open handed slap on her neck and sharp arête to have her come back and start to listen to me. I don’t think since breaking DL as a two year old I have seen her in such a tether…
I had to make a choice. I had to either fight it out with her OR get her relaxed with some long and low walking out on the miles of the trails. I decided the trails were a better option. She was tough girl at first spooking at things that she would never normally spook at. I stopped her numerous times during the 45 minutes of walking the trails. I was doing the ‘Earth to Dawna Lisa’ lesson. Finally, she started to listen. I don’t think she liked the French link snaffle or having her mouth locked shut with the dropped noseband. I have never ridden her in this and I think some of the unexpected head tossing (never done this in ALL the years I have known her) might be due to the bridle set up.
When we arrived back at the dressage arena area she was in a better mood. She stood quietly ring side as a lovely German Riding pony was working in harness practicing his test. We walked into the dressage arena and she was much more relaxed. The people with the German Riding pony drove over near us and we went over to talk to them. DL stood fairly well but not perfectly as we talked. In the distance we saw Larry with one of the greys and headed over to where Larry was working. Once again, DL stood fairly well as we watched Larry and another horse work.
SO what am I going to do about this all? I plan to ride DL first thing in the morning and just walk her on the trails. I am NOT going to tie her mouth shut and perhaps ask Larry IF he has a full bridle I can use. For the past three years I had ridden her in a full bridle with a low port short shank curb bit set very low in her mouth (old Saddlebred trick from those long ago days) and a very thick bradoon that I actually ride on. NO she doesn’t need a full bridle but she likes it. I need to return her to what she is used to and likes.
When we got back to the barn, I spent more time grooming her. I saw a little light go on in DL’s eyes as she gave me one of her famous pony hugs. It has been really hard on this mare. For seven long years she was my best buddy and never left the farm without me. For the last three years, she has been tossed between Larry and I. For the last year, DL has spent more time with Larry than I. I can fully understand her confusion. The ONLY way that DL and I can do our best is if DL understands that her ‘mother’ is on the lines. She needs to relax and listen to me and know we need to work together. While I need to correct her when she tries to get her way (the current issue), she has to seriously reorient her world to ME. This is no easy task and I am definitely not frustrated or upset. She well on her way but I am not surprised to what some would see as a set back. It is NOT. I just need to smarter about what I am doing and listen more to Dawna Lisa and her current insecurities that will pass. Dawna Lisa has the biggest heart you could want in ANY pony. Ponies don’t give you their heart unless you are deserving. I just need to be more deserving and understanding. Yours, Claudia

No comments: